Goodbye, Mr. President...

...President Hinckley, that is. President Gordon B. Hinckley, late leader of the Church Of Jesus Christ Of the Latter-Day Saints.

He died on January 27, 2008. And with his passing, I feel some part of me has chipped away, just like that poem by John Donne said...

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

We, the world, have a lost a great man who stood for something.

Integrity, faith, love, etc. -- all the good "stuff" of life.

I am not nor have ever been a member of the Latter-Day Saints church; I have only read one book by President Hinckley ("Standing For Something"), and I find his views, values and principles are as sound and warm as any great and spiritual man's who ever walked this earth.

May we live up to the standards he preached and lived. God knows we need more men, more leaders like him.

Goodbye, Mr. President. Rest in peace...

0 comments: